THIS YEAR PRESS - Diligence Personified

My name is Will "Deshair" Foskey, Editor-at-Large, Celebrity Journalist. You can find some of my work on www.Vibe.com, HipHopCrack.com, XPOZ magazine, American Songwriter, as well as the many sites that I find my work on. I work extremely hard to gain the content that matters... from well thought out opinions to asking the questions that defines the times, "I Got You!" - Will "Deshair" Foskey

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Ms. Jackson, if you still care...


By Will “Deshair” Foskey, as seen in the January issue of XPOZ magazine

It’s almost hard to believe that it has been 20 years since Ms. Jackson took “Control” over her career, but it has been that long. Born to Joseph and Katherine Jackson, Janet Damita Jo, is the youngest of nine children with enough energy and attitude to share evenly with her siblings. The youngest descendant of musical royalty with the Jackson 5 as in-house motivation, who would have thought that Janet’s earliest aspirations, would have been to become a horse jockey? In the end, it was a stern father with a twist of calculated destiny that has given Janet the opportunity to entertain millions and to usher in a new generation of strong, confident women into the ‘90s.

Janet has sold more than 80 million albums worldwide, not including the many records she broke on the Billboard charts through her equally impressive singles. Some of those record setting feats have only been eclipsed by artists the caliber of Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston in their prime.
Ms. Jackson is a World Tour giant as well. She is one of the few artists that no matter what the price of a ticket to her show costs she’ll make your purchase worth it by showcasing an overall stage performance that will excite you in more ways than one.

With a musical resume that is unmatched by any other artist in her genre, you would think that people wouldn’t count Janet out so quickly. Her ninth album “20 Y.O.” entered the Billboard 200 charts at #2, selling 289,000 units in its first week, but since then, Janet’s 20th anniversary party is all but over – or so they say. Since its release, 20 Y.O. sold over 440,000 copies. Her first week sales for “All For You” surpassed that number in one week. Some industry insiders would say that times have changed since Ms. Jackson’s hey day. Her current boyfriend and former President of Urban Music at Virgin, Jermaine Dupri has allegedly left his post due to the lack of promotion for his sweetheart’s latest project. Some of her diehard fans just wanted the old Janet with her signature sound and bright aura back.

So why isn’t Janet on top of the globe?

Contrary to popular demand, Janet’s infamous “wardrobe malfunction” during her Halftime Super Bowl performance has nothing to do with her drop in sales. Yes, she received a healthy portion of negative press and spurred the FCC back into action, but people weren’t going to stop buying her music because of it. I mean really, there weren’t many people out there who were totally appalled by the act. They may have been stunned, but not appalled. The truth is, most of the people who complained about the act, didn’t even see it until the day after.

Complaints about the promotion of 20 Y.O. seems to be a bit far fetched since Janet was on the cover of every magazine imaginable and also appeared on every major network to get the word out. Oprah Winfrey’s couch was promotion enough. And with a rabid fan base still backing Ms. Jackson, the World Wide Web dazzled with Janet trinkets. Now you can never have enough promotion. It’s just that Janet signed an $80 million dollar deal with Virgin, and with 20 Y.O. being the last album requirement of the deal, you would think that her promotions would be up to par. Or maybe for that same reason it wasn’t.
JD, you need to get in contact with me so that we can set the record straight for Janet fans everywhere.

I do know one thing though. It has been 20 years since Janet began her ascension after stepping out from her older brother, Michael’s shadow, to beginning her reign at the top of the Pop world. But in 2006, Janet, standing at the completely gorgeous age of 40, has found herself in competition with the female Pop/R&B world that she trail-blazed. She is an icon through and through, but she isn’t 21 anymore. Ok, so why did I just make this discussion about her age? I’m about to give you the real reason why Janet has fizzled over the past 5 years.

Ms. Jackson, or her advisors, have made a detrimental mistake in rerouting her musical direction. Janet is known for her popular sound; music that makes you feel good; music that makes you want to dance like her and with her. The formula that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis helped Janet to create on the Control album ultimately paved a new lane in music. Janet was never pure R&B. Her music reached beyond the boundaries of any one particular genre. So why is Janet singing R&B music now? Why is she conforming to today’s generation of sound? Why isn’t she staying in her personal lane where she might have competitors coming at her, but when the smoke clears, they will only be compared to her? If popular music is what got you to where you are, you modify that music, you don’t just change it altogether – especially after 15 years of success.

You don’t see a group with the legacy of Bon Jovi, trying to sound like the All-American Rejects. And this is why after 20 years and over 100 million records sold; their fan base is as strong as ever. Bon Jovi is still doing what they have done the best, and that is being Bon Jovi. This is where I believe that Janet has lost her way, and by doing so, Janet’s career foundation is rotting from the inside out. A lot of her American fans have moved on. They just might come back around when her 20 Y.O. tour begins in March 2007, but they will stay for the show up until the “All For You” set is completed. Once she starts to sing music from the “Damita Jo” and “20 Y.O.” albums, many of those fans will begin to file out of the stadium.

Now I do understand that Janet has kept up an arduous pace over her illustrious career, putting in 8 hours a day in the gym, 6 days a week to prepare herself for appearances and live performances. And with each year that passes for Ms. Jackson, the work ethic that she made a paramount in this industry will become even more difficult to maintain. Will anyone want to see her perform ‘Pleasure Principal’ when she’s 51 years old? Will Janet even want to perform at that age? She is the ultimate entertainer, but even her brother Michael, one of the greatest entertainers of all-time can’t keep up the pace of battling his 20-something “Thriller” ghost.

At the 2006 World Music Awards, Michael called on R&B star, Chris Brown to perform ‘Thriller’ on his behalf. Let’s just say that Michael’s fans weren’t too receptive of the move. You tell me, when was the last time you ever heard of Michael Jackson being “booed off the stage” during a performance? The Jackson’s, as in Janet and Michael, were the first to take the new age of Popular music this far into their lives. They’ve had entertainers who’ve inspired them, but none of their inspirations worked at the pace that both Janet and Michael had to work. And I believe that even if there was a blueprint in place for them, they would have ignored it, because they thrive on performing at the highest level for their fans. I would just hope that artists like Usher, Ciara, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown and other livewire entertainers will not only continue to look at the Jackson’s as their inspirations, but also as examples of where their careers can take them if they keep up the grueling high impact pace their fans expect from them.

In closing, these are just my thoughts on why I feel that Janet Jackson has fallen from grace. And this is my message to Ms. Jackson:

We still care about you dearly. You’ve set positive examples for many, and have inspired an entire culture to be a part of your nation. I would be selfish as a fan to ask for the old Janet back. But it was you that has spoiled us with your sexy expressions, your incredible hips and unearthly abs glistening onstage. It was you who dazzled us with your performances of ‘Rhythm Nation’, ‘If’ and twirled your perfections to a boiling blaze with ‘I Get Lonely’. It was you who sang the songs that made us feel unbelievably good, made some of us cry, made some of us make babies (Anytime, Anyplace) and we will love you forever for it. It’s just that you’ve set too high a bar of standards for yourself to just casually walk under it for the past couple of years. Janet, we want to see you high jump over your previously set bar of standards, even if it’s for the last time. You’ve told us a few years back that it was, “All for you, if you really want it.” We really want it Janet.

Please leave your comments on this article...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Cool!!!!!

I luv you Janet!!!!!

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a die-hard fan, I concur!
Probably one of the best articles to sum up my thoughts.
i love Janet to death, hope she's happy in her life and love, just not quite ready for the magic to end...

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely. Janet made us expect perfection from her each time out. I'm not used to her putting out 'good' albums. I expect that from others. Janet's albums are usually pure perfection through and through. But I am a die hard fan. F.A.N= forever.now.always. So whatever she chooses to do I'll do everything in my power to support her.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet has been known to sing from her heart and that's exactly what 20YO is (just as the others were). If you can't find any tracks on 20YO that make you wanna dance...well then...I don't know what to tell you. SO EXCITED, SHOE ME, THIS BODY, GET IT OUT ME! Those are ALL hot dance tracks. I'm glad 20YO doesn't have the same sound as her other albums, that keeps her from getting boring and it shows her versatility. Beyonce has been sounding the same and it's getting old to me, I'm getting bored with the typical beyonce sound. Janet should be allowed to change her vibe without someone else accusing her of "tryin" to sound like someone else...if you think about it, 20YO does not share the same sound or vibe with anyone in the industry I know of right now . I've been a fan of Janet's music since Control and as a fan, 20YO is VERY MUCH Janet, just maybe not in the way you are used to hearing her. It would be unfair of us to ask Janet to change, cause in reality, we all change and so does our taste. I LOVE 20YO and I wouldn't have asked for anything better...I love every ounce of it. Not just because I'm a Janet fan, but because when I listen to 20YO I can tell that Janet's happy, in love and having great sex! lmao. Janet has a lot of interludes offering us peeks into her life. As a hardcore TRUE Janet fan, I listen to 20YO with an open mind and an open heart....willing to take what she has to give (and what she worked so hard on) Rather than sulking cause it doesn't sound like the Janet we heard in the past, I embrace the new happy persona she has embodied and I just ENJOY.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

revised
Janet has been known to sing from her heart and that's exactly what 20YO is (just as the others were). If you can't find any tracks on 20YO that make you wanna dance...well then...I don't know what to tell you. SO EXCITED, SHOW ME, THIS BODY, GET IT OUT ME! Those are ALL hot dance tracks. I'm glad 20YO doesn't have the same sound as her other albums, that keeps her from getting boring and it shows her versatility. Beyonce has been sounding the same and it's getting old to me, I'm getting bored with the typical beyonce sound. Janet should be allowed to change her vibe without someone else accusing her of "tryin" to sound like someone else...if you think about it, 20YO does not share the same sound or vibe with anyone in the industry I know of right now . I've been a fan of Janet's music since Control and as a fan, 20YO is VERY MUCH Janet, just maybe not in the way you are used to hearing her. It would be unfair of us to ask Janet not to change, cause in reality, we all change and so does our taste. I LOVE 20YO and I wouldn't have asked for anything better...I love every ounce of it. Not just because I'm a Janet fan, but because when I listen to 20YO I can tell that Janet's happy, in love and having great sex! lmao. Janet has a lot of interludes offering us peeks into her life. As a hardcore TRUE Janet fan, I listen to 20YO with an open mind and an open heart....willing to take what she has to give (and what she worked so hard on) Rather than sulking cause it doesn't sound like the Janet we heard in the past, I embrace the new happy persona she has embodied and I just ENJOY.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you missed pointing out a critical flaw in Janets career as of late. It's all about sex. She doesn't talk about her cd's or music, she talks about sex. She hasn't talked about this being the last cd in her contract, she's talked about how much jd satisfies her.

you can counter by saying that the interviewer is the one asking the questions, but really, janet is the one who can say 'don't go there.' But she hasn't.

I'm tired of her sexual image and I *am* a Janet fan. But I want to hear about her music, career, etc. Not how many orgasms jd can make her have.

Another point to make is that this is no longer the era of 'untouchable artists.' She needs to loosen up and be more in touch with her fans. It seems to me, she shows up, does what she has to and leaves. She needs to interact with and be more accessible to her fans.

I love Janet, but it can't be denied that her choices are what's causing the demise of her career. Not the superbowl incident or bad promotion.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article. I agree with it all the way. Even with the lack of support from her company, this particular CD was not what we are used to from her. I know her yes fans like to say it is great and she an do no wrong, but we all know better. This is not her sound. I don't think this was her time either. I know she will bounce back from this though and put out her best work ever once she is with a new label. No more JD stuff or rappers. All Janet please.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms Jackson, if you still care....someone should have your head for that headline Mr Deshair, how dare you come begging and pleading for her fans to comment on your pathetic and long winded article and have the audacity to headline it with if you still care. Don't blame Janet for being the only one of her piers to survive and as result is constantly attacked for it by people and fans alike, should she do a whitney and suck on a crack pipe for ten yrs........Janet should command the same respect if not more than Madonna commands...but memebers of our community are so eager to please Mr Deshair. Vibe magazine just because Mr Deshair can spell it doesn't make him a writer.......you talking monkey. As for Janet......the force is strong with this one.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness. I love the article man. I am glad I am not the only person who feels that way and as a long time fan I hope things change. I think she has some fans that just really except anything and can't even see when things are not good. I am all for change, but if you are going to change the sound, make sure it sounds good. I feel like the reaction, by the public after the superbowl incident was uncalled for and alot of her white fans went AWOL. The sad thing for her now is that the black communtiy as a whole has not really embraced her and the lack of radio support shows that. I have to say as a 38 year old mom it is a bit hard to seriously listen to any of these songs on here. I like enjoy, but the others are songs that I tell my kids to turn dowm when they have their radios on. I still support her though and I hope things will get better for her, but great article.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE MISS JANET BUT IM SO TIRED OF HER SINGING ABOUT SEX AND JD.I REALLY WISH SHE WOULD SING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN SEX...I LOVE YOU JANET!I CANT WAIT FOR THE TOUR...

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this article. I believe everything you said. i miss the old Janet, but i also love the new Janet. But Janet is a pop artist and that was what we all fell for, and since we are fans we going to stand by her. I love damitajo and 20 y.o, but as Janet always said, i sing what's going on in my life at that moment, I jsut don't think Jermaine dupri should have been so involved so much in her career like he was. What happen to jimmy jam and Terry Lewis I haven't heard about them alot since the album came out like she did in the past. I still got love for you Janet, I think i'm going to listen to the velvet rope.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really don't know much about Janet, her music, or her fans, do you? It shows by that statement about the stadium, and the title of the article, which I find to be a slap in the face. Oh, and fans...

It shows by that statement about the stadium, and the title of the article, which I find to be a slap in the face. Oh, about us fans...

the only way us fans would leave the stadium is if she had a Michael Richards type of moment.lol

Other than that there is NO WAY in hell we'd walk out b/c of albums that were not popular w/ the general public. They were special to us so, **** what the public at large thought.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My explanation for what people are saying about my article...

The title "Ms. Janet, if you still care..." is pretty much open ended. If you still care, that's great - and for those who don't care anymore, that's there right. The title wasn't scripted to disrespect Janet. It's an editorial, so the title fits the story...

The whole stadium statement - realize and recognize that there will be "some" people who will walk for the exits when Janet goes into her last two albums. In my article, I didn't say that everybody would leave. Diehard Janet fans will stay if Janet pitches a tent and sleeps on the stage for the rest of the night. Those who are just there for the music that they loved from her will make their choice if they don't like Janet's current musical direction...

I'm just glad that I could spark this brain child of energy...
You should Public Relations cause this is about as much spin a reader can contain in day.......please spare us your damage control.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article may sound good to alot of you but let me be the first to tell you that it is a big pile of bull! There is nothing on this CD or Damito Jo that is "too R&B" for her old fans. What are you talking about? It has dance tracks on it just like her previous cds. And we all know that Janet is not 21 anymore but she looks a hell of alot better than any 21 yearold I've ever seen, so her age is not the problem! The problem is that you can not turn on a radio station and hear Janet every day, all day like you hear Justin, Beyonce, Christina, Ciara, etc. She has been black listed every since the Superbowl. The media monster that owns the T.V. station also owns alot of the radio stations and they simply are not giving her a chance! She has been on T.V. but not everyone watches Oprah, or the morning show. She has graced the cover of so many magazines but since when are you able to judge an artist's music by looking at them on a magazine! You need to hear and appreciate the music in order for it to be a success. Her song "With You" was released to be played on the air in December and I have not heard it one time on a radio staion in the Washington D.C. area!!! I heard it once on Sirus and that was it. Nobody is going to make me believe that Janet is losing her touch because she is only getting better with age. You guys need to think about what you are saying before posting items that you know nothing about. And please go to her concert so I can prove you wrong on this...nobody gets up and walks out of a Janet conert! Prove me wrong and I'll shut up. Until then, do a little more research on Ms. Jackson and show wlot more respect for her and remember this. Janet doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. She has been in the business for over 20 years, broken countless records, 7th richest female in the business and has made one hell of a mark in the music industry. She sets the mark by which other entertainers are measured up to. They can't compare to Janet. There will only be one Ms Jackson in this lifetime and she will kick ass and take names again on her tour. Just watch.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter