THIS YEAR PRESS - Diligence Personified

My name is Will "Deshair" Foskey, Editor-at-Large, Celebrity Journalist. You can find some of my work on www.Vibe.com, HipHopCrack.com, XPOZ magazine, American Songwriter, as well as the many sites that I find my work on. I work extremely hard to gain the content that matters... from well thought out opinions to asking the questions that defines the times, "I Got You!" - Will "Deshair" Foskey

Saturday, May 12, 2007

MIMS: Welcome to Washington Heights

Any emcee, dead or alive, is only as strong as his/her stomping grounds…

Where are you from? Who do you represent? How do you get down? These are just a few questions that an upstart emcee must handle with aggression and efficiency.

Some hometowns speak for themselves: Compton, Brooklyn, Miami, Atlanta…

And others have finally gained their shine: St. Louis, Houston, The Bay Area

And now, Mr. “This Is Why I’m Hot”, MIMS took this opportunity to tell you about his Concrete Kingdom of Washington Heights. The Hood Is Back!

Can we start off with your basic stats (birthday, dream car, at what age would you like to retire from the game, etc.)

MIMS: I was born on March 22nd. My dream car at the age of 13 was the Range Rover, but now it is the Lamborghini Murcielago. The perfect age of retirement is when I feel like I’ve exhausted myself in the music industry. At this point, I don’t believe that I will be rapping at the age of 40.

For those who aren’t familiar with Washington Heights, give out the coordinates.

MIMS: The best way that I could describe it is if you know the location of Harlem, all you have to do is go a few blocks Uptown from Harlem to find Washington Heights. You’ll know when you’ve reached Washington Heights when you see the African-American faces disappear, and more Dominican faces appear.

If you could only shop in one place in the Heights, which spot would you choose?

MIMS: It really depends, because as a kid growing up, my choice was 181st. 181st Street is to Washington Heights, what 125th Street is to Harlem.

Describe the culture of Washington Heights and what do you believe it is known for.

MIMS: Washington Heights to most people’s knowledge is best known for drug sales and what you can get out of there on the drug side. But if you live or spend a lot of time there, you’ll realize that there is a lot of culture – you’ll get to see how the Dominicans operate. I love their culture because my family is from Jamaica. When you get that Jamaican culture mixed in with that Dominican culture, you’ll begin to see that there are many similarities. So you can say that growing up in Washington Heights has allowed for me to stay in touch with my Caribbean roots.

Now I must say that I am very familiar with the curvaceous frames on the women in your area. What can outsiders look forward to if they are trying to find them a female from your stomping grounds?

MIMS: If there is one thing that I can say about any Latina in the area is that they are loyal. That’s the god honest truth. They will maintain their loyalty to you through it all. So if you’re looking for a female who would hold you down (stand by you), you can find them here.

Have you always lived in the Heights?

I’m proud that I’m representing Washington Heights. I lived in the Heights for a very long time. But I’m not going to lie; I also lived in the Suburban areas of Long Island. The course between the two, and the knowledge that I’ve gained from the two were very beneficial to my life. I wouldn’t trade how I grew up for the world. Growing up in Washington Heights really allowed for me to learn the hustler’s mentality. And when I finished my high school years in Long Island, it allowed for me to see a different part of life. Now I didn’t live in a $5,000,000 home, but I lived around the corner from one. So I was able to see what a $5,000,000 home looked like; and I was able to envision what I wanted out of life.

Many would say that you have come out of nowhere with your first single. When did you know that you've arrived?

MIMS: Most people would say that my success was overnight, or that I’m a one-hit wonder. But to know me, you’ll know that I’ve been into music since I was 13 years old. This ain’t something that I just picked up and said, ‘I’m going to be a rapper, and I just happened to make good song.’ I’ve been putting together records for nearly half of my life. People want to know what makes me so different from the next man, or how can they do what I’m doing. Well I put my life into this; I put a lot of grind work into this. I’ve been Dj’ing since 13, got into production and engineering at the age of 16, and had a Pro-tools equipped studio at the age of 19. So I can go into any studio in the country right now and handle myself behind the mic and the boards.

You’ve recently released your official second single. Put us up on it…

MIMS: The official second single off the album is called ‘Like This’. It’s a club record that is very competitive. It’s not competitive as in dancing, but more along the lines of male and female. I think that people are going to have a lot of fun with it, especially since it’s about to get warm very soon.

In closing, why will 2007 be a big year for Mims?

MIMS: I think that just like everybody in this industry, I have overcome a lot of obstacles. I’ve taken a record that a lot of people didn’t believe in, and I’m sure that people still don’t believe in it now, but I took that song to a #1 position on the charts. I have a great company behind me. This year is going to be mine. You’re going to hear a lot from MIMS…

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter